All Saints' Day
- nouna Christian feast day honoring all the saints; first observed in 835• Hypernyms: ↑holy day of obligation
* * *nounUsage: usually capitalized A&S&D: a feast observed in various Christian churches on November 1 in honor of all the saints or all the blessed in heaven
* * *a church festival celebrated November 1 in honor of all the saints; Allhallows.[1570-80]
* * *All Saints' Day noun1 November, a Christian festival in honour of the saints collectively• • •Main Entry: ↑all
* * *All Saints' Day,November 1, a church festival honoring all the saints; Allhallows.
* * *n. a Christian festival in honor of all the saints, held (in the Western Church) on November 1
* * *ˌAll ˈSaints' Day 7 [All Saints' Day] nouna Christian festival in honour of the ↑saints, held on 1 NovemberCulture:All Saints’ Day is also known as All Hallows. The night before, known as All Hallows’ Eve, is now usually called ↑Halloween.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
All Saints' Day — • Celebrated on the first of November. Instituted to honour all the saints, known and unknown, and, according to Urban IV, to supply any deficiencies in the faithful s celebration of saints feasts during the year Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin… … Catholic encyclopedia
All Saints' Day — also All Hallows Day 1 November, when Christian churches remember all the ↑saints … Dictionary of contemporary English
All Saints' Day — All′ Saints ′ Day n. rel a church festival celebrated Nov. 1 in honor of all the saints; Allhallows • Etymology: 1570–80 … From formal English to slang
All Saints' Day — ► NOUN ▪ a Christian festival in honour of all the saints, held (in the Western Church) on 1 November … English terms dictionary
All Saints' Day — n. an annual church festival (Nov. 1) in honor of all the saints … English World dictionary
All Saints' Day — a church festival celebrated November 1 in honor of all the saints; Allhallows. [1570 80] * * * In Christianity, a day commemorating all the saints of the church, known and unknown. It is celebrated on November 1 in the Western churches and on… … Universalium
All Saints' Day — (1 November) Germany and England began celebrating a feast of all martyrs and saints on 1 November in the 8th century, instead of on 13 May, as was done in Rome; eventually the rest of Western Christendom also adopted the November date.… … A Dictionary of English folklore
all-saints' day — All Hallow, All Hallows, All Hallowmas, Hallowmas, the first of November, All Saints … New dictionary of synonyms
All Saints' Day — noun In Christian tradition, the annual feast day celebrating the life of all saints on the first day of November. Syn: All Hallows Day … Wiktionary
All Saints' Day — A Feast held on November 1, in commemoration of all saints of the Church who are not commemorated on other days. This Festival is very dear to the hearts of Christians. It is a day full of touching memories, when in the Holy Eucharist we… … American Church Dictionary and Cyclopedia